Sunday, December 2, 2007

In Defense of Rutabagas

Maryann here.

With the farmers market now closed for the year, I get a terrible sense of dread (despite the fact that I didn't go every Saturday--I just like knowing it's there!)

While surfing around online about local food, I found this article about the unloved rutabaga:

http://www.nj.com/food/ledger/index.ssf?/base/living-0/119441812095980.xml&coll=1

I for one am willing to have a go at these big funny root vegetables (I know the frolic girls are all game too). I learned that NJ grows very few of them, and some farmers sell them from out of state. The ones in supermarkets are waxed to help keep the moisture in.

Alas, there is a local purveyor---Old Hook Farm in Emerson. As the above article mentions, their rutabagas are unwaxed (and even have the leaves still attached). I just called to verify that they are locally grown--and the woman said they're grown right on the farm in Emerson!

The farm also has a big store carrying various organic groceries. Sounds like a road trip is in order.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there is no comparison between waxed and unwaxed rutabaga. I find simple cooking is the best. Cut the uwaxed rutabaga into equal sized cubes and place in a microwave safe container with lid. Put about 3 tablespoons of water in container with the rutabaga and microwave for approximately 6 minutes. Drain and mash. add butter and Mediterranean sea salt and white pepper to taste, serve immediately. the unwaxed rutabaga will have a taste as if you've added sugar. Enjoy :-)