Friday, December 21, 2007

Sick and ill informed

I have just spent an awful week with Marisol having a stomach bug, meaning that she has been throwing up everything that she has been putting into her stomach. She has lost alot of weight and it has just been abit trying on all accounts. Diane was very helpful with her advice. On the first day I was not so worried, she was throwing up and I thought she would get over it. When she started dry reaching I got worried.

I tried to heal her homeopathically and I am not sure it worked, that is, I do not think I know enough about it to diagnose her correctly. What I realised was one little flimsy book and a bit of common sense can only get you so far, it is knowing how the body works in a factual sense that would give me a degree of confidence in myself and not having to feel I have to rely on an outer source.

I was worried as she kept throwing up and took her along, regretfully, to the doctor. The doctor was pretty unconcerned and said as long as she has tears and saliva in her mouth then it is a bug, you dont know what it is, and should be cleared in 24 hours though sometimes can last 5 days.

I am on day 6 and she just threw up, though the first time all day. It is just awful and I feel powerless to help her. I relented after day 4 and gave her some over the counter anti nauseas medicine which stopped her throwing up through the night, as she was getting critically dehydrated. anyway these are details with the point being really that nothing makes sense and that I guess to continually try to be informed so that when you are sick, or rather for me, when Marisol is sick, I feel a little stronger in my sense of understanding that I do not have to feel like running to the doctor because that is what happened in my moment of weakness and utter despair.

I am not saying that a doctor is not a good thing, I am so thankful for them, I just wish I had more of an understanding of the medical field so I could really know whether she is in dire straights or whether it is simply a bug and let her sip some ginger tea and sit it out.

Who knows....

No comments: