Sunday, December 2, 2007

RUTABAGA FROLIC

Diane here, totally enjoying Maryann's Blog. Yes, the Birthday Dinner at David Drake's was wonderful, and just a small example of what Frolic Girls experience when they get away from their own kitchens.

Perhaps it's because I am from New York State (Utica and Ithaca, NOT Nyack or Sleepy Hollow, although I would like to live in the town which has a Legend and a Johnny Depp movie as it's namesake) I am very familiar with the delicious rutabaga. Back when we were Macrobiotic the rutabaga was always a part of our sauteed vegetables, which we ate for lunch and dinner, with brown rice, seaweed, beans, or the occasional fish tempura. I have always loved the bright color and sweet taste. In fact, I just had some boiled rutabaga cubes, mashed with lots of raw butter and sea salt. I only required two small pieces of Chocomaca for dessert. That's a great new chocolate with Amazon herbs in it, a nice snack and a good way to get some maca into your diet. The sweetness of the rutabaga is very good for us sweet-tooth people, and a great way to keep your blood sugar at a good level, as are all the orange vegetables. I learned that in Macrobiotics as well.

Maybe Maryann and I should take that road trip to Emerson for some local rutabagas, and find some lovely recipes using them. I have only eaten them sauteed with other vegetables, or boiled and mashed.

I HEART NY......and Rutabagas!

No comments: